For us in Kākāno there is a real focus on developing independence and self management skills. Starting school involves adjusting to new routines and expectations. In line with our Team name “Kākāno” this is a time of great learning and development. We believe that by providing a caring and consistent environment learners will foster a love and curiosity for learning and being at school. In order to achieve this we:
- Balance play and learning in a play based learning model
- Promote both the key competencies from the New Zealand Curriculum and the Chelsea school motto, values and DNA.
- Create firm home school partnerships, communication is key
- Adopt a growth mindset where can’t is replaced by ‘not yet’ thinking
- Value attempts at learning and the process rather than the result – First Attempt in Learning mindset.
- Utilise a range of strategies to support learners to adjust to school life
- Have a safe, nurturing environment where learning risk taking is fostered and high expectations are embedded in classrooms.
We are excited to be a part of your child’s learning journey and look forward to working alongside you. Through our Seesaw blog you can catch a glimpse of some of our learning and adventures at school.